Flatbed UV-LED inkjet printers
Creating more valuable products
Nagano, Japan (August 31, 2016)
Mimaki Engineering Co. Ltd. (President and Representative Director: Kazuaki Ikeda), a leading global manufacturer of wide format inkjet printers and cutting plotters, announces that it will launch the new UV-curable inkjet printer models UJF-3042MkII and UJF-6042MkII in October, 2016. The new models are the successor models to the UJF-3042FX/HG and UJF-6042 models and deliver superior productivity, print quality, and adaptability for various application needs.
Recently, the UV-curable printers are being installed to fabrication laboratories (FabLab), shopping malls and hardware/DIY stores to allow general customers creating customized items. Along with this market trend, Mimaki predicts that the users will expect to use the printer that provide faster printing speed, better usability and greater compatibility with various materials.
In 2010, Mimaki launched the world’s first desktop UV-LED curable inkjet printer UJF-3042 and has been leading the market ever since. In recent years, the need for high-mix low-volume production is increasing; therefore, digital on-demand print production is increasing because of its unique features. The digital on-demand inkjet printer does not require a print-plate, thus quicker delivery is possible compared to conventional printing methods. Furthermore, such this quick-printing feature provides an economic advantage because it enables reducing stocking up of final products. We predict that digital on-demand inkjet printing will expand its applications to meet a wide range of surface decoration requirements for various materials.
The new UJF-3042MkII and UJF-6042MkII models achieve the best-in-class print speed that is approximately 20% (*1) faster than that of the conventional models. In addition to providing excellent productivity, the new models can accommodate various applications with a choice of flexible or rigid ink. The LUS-120 ink stretches up to 170% and thus can be used to print on soft material surface. Ideal applications of the LUS-120 ink are membrane switches or wallet smartphone cases that must be pressed or folded. The LUS-150(*2) ink is also flexible and has high adhesion level to various materials. Ideal applications of the LUS-150 ink are indoor signs, trophies and other items that are made of acrylics because of this ink’s excellent compatibility with acrylics. The rigid LH-100 ink has high durability including excellent scratch resistance. Ideal applications of the LH-100 ink are accessories or stationery products. To accommodate the requirements of various applications, the inkjet primer PR-200 increases the adhesion of the LH-100 ink on glass, metal and resin materials for which printing with UV-curable inks was previously difficult.
The new models employ Mimaki’s unique print control technique that adds value to the product by delivering photo quality, fine graphics and smooth gradation prints, along with texture prints created with a clear varnish ink. Moreover, the print table area is fully covered, which reduces ink odor during printing and allows the use of the printer even in offices or retail stores. The new UJF-3042MkII and UJF-6042MkII models are advanced flatbed UV-curable inkjet printers that create high-value-added product, achieve superior productivity and print quality, and have a greater ability to accommodate a wide range of application.
*1: Applicable print mode is 'standard'. *2: The LUS-150 ink is loadable in the future.
- Approximately 20% faster print speed than with conventional models.
The best-in-class productivity delivers effective on-demand print production
- The UJF-3042MkII and the UJF-6042MkII models achieve a maximum print speed of 2.48 m2/h (*3) and 3.52 m2/h (*4). The best-in-class productivity exhibits an approximately 20% (*5) faster print speed than that of conventional models and support on-demand print production.
- Staggered printhead arrangement allows printing process and spot colors simultaneously.
*3: 39 A4 size* images per hour / Print conditions: 4-color, draft mode, 600 × 600 dpi, 8Pass
*4: 55 A4 size* images per hour / Print conditions: 6-color, draft mode, 600 × 600 dpi, 8Pass
*A4 size: 210 x 297 mm (8.27 x 11.7 in)
*5: Applicable print mode is 'standard'.
- Advanced mechanical structure improves value-added print products
- Unlike conventional models, the print table moves during printing to reduce printer unit vibration. The table is precisely controlled to improve ink dot placement.
- Direct printing on objects of up to 153 mm in thickness.
- Fully covered print table improves printer safety by preventing accidents involving operation contact with the printer carriage. It also maintains print quality by reducing dust adhesion.
- High-performance inks expand the range of applications
- The flexible LUS-120 ink can print on soft materials including leather or polyurethane.
- The LUS-150 (*6) ink adheres very well to various materials especially to acrylic. Examples of ideal applications are indoor signs, trophies.
- The inkjet primer PR-200 increases ink adhesion to glass, metal, resin, and other materials with surface treatment.
- Mimaki Clear Control (MCC) can create embossed printing by utilizing a clear varnish ink. The beautiful and unique print finish adds value to the final product.
*6: The LUS-150 ink will be compatible in the future.
- Mimaki's unique print-quality management enhances color representation
- Mimaki Expand Color is preset in RasterLink6 (*7) and it delivers upgraded color representation with more vibrant solid color or brighter skin tones.
- Mimaki's unique printhead control techniques, including the Mimaki Advanced Pass Ssytem4 (MAPS4), variable dot printing and waveform control, deliver print results of exceptional quality.
*7: Mimaki genuine RIP software
- Maintenance functions ensure worry-free print operation
- Nozzle check unit (NCU) automatically detects clogged nozzles and performs cleaning; moreover, the nozzle recovery system (NRS) uses only good nozzles as substitute if the clogged nozzles are not recovered after cleaning. These functions allow constant printing and reduce waste printing due to defective nozzles.
- Mimaki circulation technology (MCT) is used in the white-ink tank and channels and it circulates white ink at regular intervals to prevent pigment sedimentation that leads to nozzle malfunction.
1. Best-in-class print speed, approximately 20% more faster print speed than the previous model
Because of the new printhead, with its longer nozzle lines (*8), the print speed of the UJF-3042/6042MkII has been increased by approximately 20 % (*9) more than that of conventional models. The maximum print speed of the UJF-3042MkII is 2.48 m2/h (*10) and UJF-6042MkII is 3.52 m2/h (*11). Moreover, the staggered printhead arrangement (Fig.1) increases productivity by printing process and spot colors simultaneously (*12). In FabLabs or retails stores, the new UJF-3042MkII and UJF-6042MkII models motivate personal customers to create customized items by demonstrating usability and instant print features.
*8: 636 nozzles per printhead (318 nozzles per line)
*9: Applicable print mode is 'standard'.
*10: 39 A4 size images per hour / Print conditions: 4-color, draft mode, 600 × 600 dpi, 8 Pass
*11: 55 A4 size images per hour / Print conditions: 6-color, draft mode, 600 × 600 dpi, 8 Pass
*12: Dependent on the ink-setting; simultaneous printing might not be possible in every case.
Fig.1 Configuration of printhead
UJF-3042MkII: Print speed /4-color (C, M, Y, K) printing
A3 size: 297 mm ✕ 420 mm (11.69 in ✕ 16.54 in)
UJF-6042MkII: Print speed/6-color (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm) printing
A2 size: 420 mm ✕ 594 mm (16.54 in ✕ 23.39 in)
2. Advanced mechanical structure assists value-added print products
1) Table-driven printing delivers superior quality image
To reduce printer unit vibration, the print table moves vertical direction during printing without moving the upper unit of the printer. In addition, to achieve higher positional accuracy, two ball screws are installed on both sides of the table to assist table movement. The precise droplet placement reduces-gloss banding issues and enables creating more valuable print products. In addition, the noise level of this model is remarkably reduced compared to the conventional model; thus, this printer can be installed in an office.
2) Direct printing on an object up to 153 mm thick
The printable object can be as thick as 153 mm. Moreover, the advanced sensor detects even a transparent object (*13). The new model accepts a range of materials with simple set-up steps.
*13:To utilize this feature, spacers are required depending on the thickness of the object. The spacer is one of accessories of UJF-3042/6042MkII.
3) Fully covered print table improves the safeness of the printer
The fully covered print table prevents accidents involving operator contact with the printer carriage. It also maintains print quality by reducing dust adhesion.
3. High-performance UV-curable inks expand the range of applications
1) Flexible LUS-120 ink can print on soft materials
The flexible LUS-120 ink stretches up to 170% and delivers beautiful and durable print results on soft materials including leather or polyurethane.
2) Flexible LUS-150 ink has versatile adhesion capability on to various materials (*14)
The LUS-150 ink stretches up to 150% and delivers vibrant color representation. In addition to its use on soft materials, this ink adheres very well to rigid materials such as glass or acrylic. Examples of ideal applications are indoor signs or trophies.
*14: The LUS-150 ink will be loadable in the future.
3) Rigid LH-100 ink is highly scratch resistant
The LH-100 ink features high scratch-resistant, is chemically resistant, and has excellent color reproducibility. Ideal applications are smartphone cases, key fobs made of resins or plastics.
4) PR-200 primer increases ink adhesion
The PR-200 primer enhances the ink adhesion. The primer can be applied to the required areas by ink-jetting. This feature retains the texture of the material, which is not possible with manual primer application. The PR-200 can be used on resin, glass and metal materials without affecting their texture.
5) The clear varnish ink offers valuable new print effects
Mimaki clear control (MCC) has been newly added to the UJF-3042MkII and 6042MkII models. This technique adds a glossy finish on desired areas and a premium appearance to the print. However, clear-ink prints tend to be ruined by dusts adhering to uncured inks. In order to minimize dust adhesion and air bubbles on the print, MCC shortens the ink curing time by processing the clear ink print and UV-light irradiation simultaneously. MCC provides a gorgeous gloss finish and a stylish matte finish. Moreover, an embossed print is available by multiple applications of clear ink on specific areas; it adds a dimensional appearance to the print and enables representing the freshness of food or elaborate designs.
Print images with MCC
4. Mimaki's unique techniques provides more beautiful print
1) Mimaki Expand Color improves color representation
The new input profile, Mimaki Expand Color, is added to Mimaki genuine RIP software, RasterLink6. This profile enables representing more vibrant solid colors and brighter skin tones than a conventional input profile and provide more attractive print results with high-contrast color shades; bright parts are brighter and dark parts are darker.
Effectiveness of Mimaki Expand Color, a new input profile of RasterLink6
2) Mimaki Advanced pass System 4 (MAPS4) minimizes banding and uneven color printing
MAPS4 has been newly added to the UJF-3042MkII and 6042MkII models. Generally, swath boundaries are straight lines. Therefore, a slight misalignment between boundaries causes banding or uneven color printing. MAPS4 reduces banding and uneven color printing with blurred boundaries similar to gradation printing.
Fig. 2: Illustration of MAPS4
Banding and uneven color printing are reduced by scattering swath boundaries. Beautiful print image is obtained.
Bandings appear on swath boundaries. Print quality is remarkably degraded because banding is recognizable on each boundary.
3) Waveform control and variable dot printing achieve smooth and quality print image
Each ink color has its own specific gravity and viscosity. To achieve a precise placement of ink droplets onto the media, Mimaki has designed an optimum waveform control technique that allows the printhead to jet each ink color at an optimum angle, maintaining excellent ink droplet circularity. Thanks to precise ink droplet landing, three different droplet sizes (6 pl to 24 pl *15) are properly used for providing optimum print results.
*15: The maximum droplet size is 30 pl when using white high-dense mode.
5. Maintenance functions ensure worry-free operation
1) NCU automatically detects and recovers clogged nozzles
Clogged nozzles are detected automatically by monitoring ink droplets with sensors. When clogged nozzles are located, these are automatically cleaned, reducing waste printing. Nozzles are checked per transfer file.
2) NRS for maintaining productivity
If the clogged nozzles are not recovered after cleaning through the NCU function, the NRS selects substitute nozzles and then restarts printing. This is a significant novelty, since previously, when nozzle cleaning fails, the printhead has to be repaired by a technician, and the printing operation ceases until the printhead is repaired. The NRS allows the printer to continue printing without interruption by using non-defective nozzles as substitutes for defective nozzles until the technician arrives. (*16)
*16: NRS may not be activated depending on print modes.
3) Mimaki Circulation Technology (MCT) minimizes downtime
MCT is used in the ink tank and channel. The white ink is circulated at regular intervals to prevent pigment sedimentation that leads to malfunctions of the printhead.
* Some of sample images are simulated.
|Printhead||On-demand piezo printhead|
(3 printheads arranged in a staggered line)
|On-demand piezo printhead|
(4 printheads arranged in a staggered line)
|Print resolution||Maximum: 1200 x 1200 dpi|
|Maximum printable area||Width: 300mm|
Length：420mm (A3 size)
Length：420mm (A2 size)
|Ink||Type/Color||LH-100 (C, M, Y, K, W, Cl)
LUS-120 (C, M, Y, K, W, Cl)
LUS-150 (C, M, Y, K, W) *17
|LH-100 (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm, W, Cl)
LUS-120 (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm, W, Cl)
LUS-150 (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm, W) *17
|Packaging||250 ml bottle (*18) / 1 L bottle|
|Media||Thickness||153 mm (6 in) or less|
|Weight||5 kg (11 lb) or less||8 kg (17.7 lb) or less|
|Certifications||VCCI class A / FCC class A / ETL UL 60950-1 / CB / |
CE Marking (EMC, Low voltage, Machinery directive, and RoHS)/ REACH / Energy Star / IEC60825-1
|Interface||Ethernet / USB2.0|
|Noise level||Standby mode: 55dB or less (FAST-A, measured1 m away from the source)|
Continuous operation: 65 dB or less
Discontinuous operation: 70 dB or less
|Power supply||Single-phase AC100-240V, ±10%, 50/60Hz ±1Hz|
|Power consumption||800W or less|
|Operational environment||Temperature||20 - 30 degC (68 - 86 degF)|
|Humidity||35 - 65％Rh|
|Recomended Temperature||20 - 25 degC (68 - 77 degF)|
|Temperature change||±10 degC (±50 degF) /h or less|
|Dust level||Equivalent to a general office floor level|
|RIP software||RasterLink6 (Bundled)|
|Dimensions (W × D × H) *19||1,355 mm × 1,290 mm × 856 mm|
(53.4 in × 50.8 in × 33.7 in)
|1,665 mm × 1,290 mm × 856 mm|
(65.6 in × 50.8 in × 33.7 in)
|Weight||135 kg (297.6 lb)||150 kg (330.7 lb)|
*17: Loadable in the future. *18: 250 ml ink bottle will be available in the future. *19: Heights of ink bottles are not included.
Note: For product improvement purpose, data in above specifications are subject to change without notice.
Mimaki Engineering Co., Ltd.
Postal code: 389-0512
Address: 1628-1 Otsu Shigeno Tomi Nagano, Japan
Tel: +81-(0)268-64-2281, Fax: +81-(0)268-80-0041